Virginia Farms for Sale
Virginia Estates will partner with you and provide guidance throughout the process of scouting, researching, negotiating and closing on your Virginia farm. Our extensive experience and uncompromising thoroughness will directly lead to your ultimate satisfaction and peace of mind in your Virginia farm purchase.
Featured Farm Properties
- White Post
- Maple Hall Inn
- Amherst Farm
- Spectacular Mountain Home, Expansive Acreage, Majestic Views & Lake Access
- Castle Hill
- One of the most significant historic estates in Virginia and certainly in the county of Albemarle
- The Chimneys
- Recent price drop!
- Creeper Trail Ranch
- Priced to sell at $995,000. Owner Financing Available!
- Glenwood Farm
- Graves Mill Farm
- The Glen
- Cowpasture River Farm
- Bounded by the National Forest
- Marsh Run
- Private domain in the prized Somerset area of Orange County
- Oakland Farm
- White Horse Farm
- Red Bank Farm
- Old Orchard
- Buxton Farm
- A private and protected river farm in all of Bath County, Virginia.
- Sharp Rock Vineyards
- Greenmont Farm
- Edgewood Farm
- Maple Glen Farm
- Spectacular multifaceted country property with 339 acres situated in the idyllic Graves Mill Valley at the foot of the Blue Ridge
- Blue Water Farm
- Totally private 170 acres with over 1500 feet on the James River and a 5 acre stocked lake just 20 miles from Charlottesville
- Greenmont Farm and Land
- Gently rolling hills and Blue Ridge backdrop also makes it a wonderful candidate for a wedding venue or Bed & Breakfast/Country Inn.
- Corbin Hall Farm
- 2000+ acre farm with 1500 highly productive acres with more that seven miles of frontage on Rappahannock River, LaGrange Creek and Weekes Creek
- Still Ridge Farm
- The home is the product of two joined log cabins that evoke a stunning rustic elegance nestled within a sublime private valley
- Coffee Plantation
- A true turnkey property, easily managed locally or from a distance. Or as a desirable property to be leased.
- Broomfield Lane
- After generations in the hands of the same family, this 151 acre horse farm is finally open to new ownership.
- Walkers Creek
- Surrounded by open, gently rolling fields and adjacent to a picturesque creek, this 4,220 square-foot property flawlessly melds natural beauty and structural style.
- Earhart Farm
- Nestled in verdant mountains, this farming property offers the abundance of bountiful natural land with the comforts of a modern home.
- Faber Road
- Rural living with privacy on 53 acres in Albemarle County
- Westerham Farm
- Indian Creek Estate Potential Vineyard
- Rolling hills and open pastures make this an ideal setting for a vineyard
- Mulberry Farm
- This farmstead is unlike any home or property you will come across. This property is one that will truly leave you in awe.
A Trusted Realtor Experienced with Virginia Farms
Baby boomers, retirees, and other people looking for a change of pace target the Southern United States to locate their dream homes or secondary vacation homes and properties. Oftentimes, these real estate searches center on farmlands, ranches, and open space for sale… in the Old Dominion. In fact, the Commonwealth of Virginia offers potential buyers in the present real estate market the ideal region to find a farm or ranch property in the rural South.
Virginia Estates, a premier leader in Virginia real estate, will help you discover Virginia farms, Virginia farm land, and mountain land for sale. If your search involves buying and selling farms in Virginia, our team will make certain you find the right property or sell your farm or ranch for the right price.
Central Virginia is home to some of the richest farmland in the Commonwealth; this is why our region is a wise choice for new and well-established farming operations, equestrian properties, beef-cattle ranches, and award winning vineyards and wineries.
Due to Virginia temperate climate, the state is home to a number of speciality farming operations. In addition to the typical agricultural operation, it has to a diverse collection of farms including beef farms, poultry farms, horse farms, dairy farms and hobby farms.
Finding and purchasing the right farm property is a much more complex venture than buying a residential home or a piece of land. We’ve assembled a short guide that will give the novice farm buyer an overview about building your farm team, Virginia soils, Virginia water and hydrology and farm fencing.
Virginia Prime Farm Land
According to the United States Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service, prime farmland abounds in Virginia; the “prime farmland” designation indicates that land has the best combination of physical and chemical characteristics for producing food, feed, forage, fiber, and oilseed crops. Prime farmland also has the combination of essential characteristics needed to produce sustained high yield crops in an economic manner in-line with acceptable farming techniques. These characteristics include:
- Soil Properties
- Growing Season
- Moisture Supply
Farms for sale in Virginia are attractive because they generally meet the characteristics of prime farmland that produce successful crops, including:
- A reliable water supply from precipitation or irrigation
- A favorable temperature and growing season
- An acceptable levels of acidity or alkalinity
- An acceptable salt or sodium content
- Very few rocks
Other considerations for prime farmland include rural land use that is no near water areas such as lakes and urban areas. Frequency of flooding and water table drained areas are two additional requirements that designate land use as prime farmland.
The Virginia Agricultural Model
The Commonwealth of Virginia takes land preservation seriously. In fact, the Virginia Agricultural Model was developed to serve as a guide to state and local governments and developers and is intended to map important agricultural areas in Virginia based on suitable lands, prime farmland soils, and historic farm resources. This effort directly combats development pressures so that our natural resources are not lost to development and urbanization.
Virginians realize that agricultural resources support a healthy economy and a sustainable way of life. In effect, farming has been and continues to be a vital component of the Commonwealth’s economy; according to the Virginia Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts, farming in Virginia yields approximately $19.5 billion in agricultural production and employs more than 235,000 people.
Central VA Profile: Charlottesville Virginia Farms for Sale
It is well known that some of the Commonwealth’s most fertile land lies between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Virginia Piedmont. It is no wonder our Charlottesville real estate office receives specific inquires for:
Browse more Farms for Sale in Virginia
- Charlottesville Farms for Sale
- Albemarle County Farms for Sale
- Nelson County Farms for Sale
- Louisa County Farms for Sale
- Orange County Farms for Sale
- Madison County Farms for Sale
- Greene County Farms for Sale
Some of our clients look for land for sale in Virginia so they can establish or continue a successful farming operation, while others want to live in a bucolic setting and own a small farm as a hobby. Regardless, our experienced firm can help you navigate and address the geographic, climate, and soil considerations for your specific farmland search.